Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The Red Rose

“A red rose that I want to keep forever,” that was how Andrew describes Jenny, the girl he used to love. They met at school several years ago, developed a romantic relationship, but ends in a tragic event.

Jenny is a campus personality. Holding a high status in their university, she is admired by many. Everybody knows her to be kind and sweet. She had earned respect from quite a lot of students since she first entered college. Andrew, on the other hand, is just a typical young man of his age. But yet, he holds a good disposition in life and a man of God. He came from a broken family. His mother divorced her father and left them when he was still five. After a year, his father died. He was left under the care of his grandmother.


Jenny and Andrew started as friends, subsequently, lovers. They shared great moments together, as many lovers do. Envisioned their future after some years and had planned for their own family someday. They looked good together and, many of their friends say, they are compatible with each other – a match made in heaven.

I knew Jenny very much. She was my best friend and my roommate. And I know how much she loved Andrew. She told me that Andrew is going to be the last guy she’ll ever love. She had set her life with him, and made plans for both of them. On the other hand, Andrew and I were not that close. I knew he loved Jenny. But I’m not sure if he loves her as much as Jenny’s. I had witnessed how their love grew, just like a garden filled with roses that bloom at its best. A love which grew intensely, of which I thought, though, would never end.

One day, a new guy came into Jenny’s life. His name is Philip. I actually don’t like that guy the moment I saw him. However, Jenny insisted that he’s a good guy. They became friends and started to hang out.

Later on, I had just learned that Jenny and Andrew broke up. Jenny came up to me crying her heart out. She is a determined woman; yet, it contrasts her personality of being too emotional. It is hard for her to handle her emotions concerning love. She loves so much, that it is hard for her to easily forget. She told me that Andrew found something that had burst him into anger and he just can’t accept what he learned. She did everything to make Andrew stay, but the latter did not listen to her plea. She cried the whole evening at my house. I did my best to calm her, giving her advices on which I think can be helpful to her situation that moment. I also called Andrew and tried to convince him to come back. But Andrew is firm with his decisions, for him – it’s over.

A few weeks later, I had just heard that Andrew had transferred to another school far from our place. Jenny, on the other hand, is still suffering from her lost love. Her health slows down and became sickly.

After a year, she had been diagnosed with a heart failure. I tried to contact Andrew to inform him of her situation, but I failed. Jenny’s situation got worse as days had passed. Jenny had to undergo treatments every month for her disease.

One day, she met Andrew. Having no idea of what Jenny was going through and thinking that she had already got over him, he told Jenny about his upcoming wedding. Hearing this, Jenny felt downcast. When she reached home, she burst into tears. She cried intensely like there would be no tomorrow. Having not yet fully recovered from an unfortunate relationship, it doubles her pain in knowing that the man she ever loved will soon be owned by someone else. Her dreams were slowly shattered into pieces. She had not loved any other man after Andrew because all the while, she continuously hoped that one day, he will come back and they will fulfil all their dreams together. And as she slept, bringing all the memories of her and Andrew, she never woke up.

As Jenny left, our room felt so empty. I used to live with her in the same room for more than four years now. As I started to clean our room, I found a small box under her bed. As I opened it, I found a letter. There was a note written in front: “To my ever dearest, Andrew”. I decided not to open it and look for Andrew. I tried asking some of his friends from the university about his whereabouts. I learned from a friend that he is now a licensed engineer. I got his address and went to visit him.

As I reach his house, I found Andrew while cutting some roses from the garden in front of his house. I was surprised to see him doing so, of which I thought only girls do.

“I thought only girls enjoy flower gardening. I never expected that you would, too.” I told him with a smile. He stood up and looked at me while saying, 

“This was never been my interest. But these roses used to remind me of a girl whom I used to know.”

“Is it Jenny?” I asked him with curiosity. He just answered me with a deep sigh.

I noticed the sadness in his eyes when I mentioned the name of my best friend. I decided to divert our topic.

“I heard you were getting married? When is it?”

“It has been cancelled.” He replied. “It was just an arranged marriage. We decided to call it off because we both don’t love each other.”

“Have you not had any other relationship after… ahmmm… after Jenny?” I asked him with hesitation. He did not respond to my question. I took the letter from my purse and handed it to Andrew. “I think this one is for you,” handing him the letter. He reluctantly reached the letter from me and opened it. It was a letter from Jenny, written a few hours before she died. The letter goes this way,


Dearest Drew,
I’m sorry and I love you. I wrote this letter to say how sorry I am and how much I love you. I know I had hurt you. but truly, I didn’t mean to do it. I suffered so much when you left me. I tried to ignore the pain, but I just can’t. I tried to forget you, but as I try doing so, it seems like killing me softly little by little. All my dreams had been blown apart. Nonetheless, it did not kill my hope and love for you. I still continued wishing that someday, you’ll be back. I missed you so badly. I missed your voice. I missed the songs you sing for me. I missed your smile that completes my day. I missed the way you comfort me when I start to cry. I missed the way you gently scold me of my childish ways. I missed the way you hold my hand that lets me feel I’m secured. I missed the way you laugh at my mistakes. I missed every little thing about you. When you told me that you are about to get married, all my hopes vanished. I love you so much and as I said before, it will never change no matter what. I had never loved any other guy after you. I know I have hurt you so much. I wish I never did what I have done. I was drunk and mad at you that night because you were so busy. I was so stupid and immature. I failed to see all your efforts despite how busy you were. Instead of understanding you, I frequently hang out with Philip and his friends. I know how much you hated your mom for cheating on your dad. I never thought I would do the same thing. I’m really sorry..
I don’t know if you can still forgive me. But, I think it is already too late. This is my fate, my karma. I hurt you. I deserve this.
Do you still remember the rose that I have given you? That was the symbol of my love for the only man in my life. That somehow, I came across a man that had let me feel both the real happiness and sorrow in falling in love. I love you and will always will…

Jenny


As Andrew finished reading the letter, he broke into tears.

“Jenny… Jenny is already dead.” I said as my tears start to fall.

“I had loved no one but her, until now. When I saw her kissing another guy, I was hurt. The memories of my mom cheating on my dad and leaving us because of another man came back to me. I had a hard time after my mom left us. My father died and I was left alone. I can’t forgive my mom, so it was hard for me to forgive Jenny. I never thought she will suffer more than I did.” He continued as his tears run down his cheeks.

“Those were the roses she gave me when we broke up. I took care of them all these years.”

I learned that he personally planted the rose in front of his house. It was originally planted in a pot, but he wanted to make a garden out of it.


A rose is a symbol of love. However, no matter how beautiful a rose is, its thorns can still hurt anyone who touches it – and it has no exemptions. 

~ END ~

No comments:

Post a Comment